This policy applies to personal information we collect when you use our website (www.wittgroup.org) (the “Website”), when you sign up to our mailing list, and when you attend our events.
The policy applies to:
“WiTT annual or corporate members”, i.e. individuals who have an annual subscription to be part of the WiTT community;
“WiTT contacts,”, i.e. individuals who have attended or spoken at WiTT events or asked to be kept up to date about WiTT activities; and
“Other Website Users”, i.e. any other users of our website
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE WILL USE IT
We collect personal information so that we can operate our company, manage the WiTT community, and achieve our mission of providing networking and education opportunities to women (and men) in the telecoms & technology sector, mainly but not exclusively in London. The information we collect depends on the context of your interactions with us and on the choices you make. Please see the sections below for details.
Our website and services are not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
The WiTT Website
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a text-only string of data that is entered into the cookie file or “memory” of the web browser on your computer. It will typically contain the name of the domain from which the cookie has come, the “lifetime” of the cookie, and a value, usually a randomly generated unique number. If you would like to know more about cookies please visit www.aboutcookies.org.
If you sign up to receive mailings and other information about WiTT and our events, we will use your personal information (name, email address and company affiliation, if any) to keep you informed. Our legal basis for doing this is your consent. You have the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
We use Mailchimp to deliver our mailings and some event invitations. We gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve take-up and opens. Please note that Mailchimp uses servers hosted in the U.S, but it complies with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield. If you want to know more about how your information will be stored and processed see https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/
If we use any other providers we will let you know when you sign up.
If you no longer wish to receive communications from us, you can unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time by please clicking the unsubscribe link, at the bottom of our emails or by emailing email@example.com with your name and email address.
If you register to attend one of our events we will use your personal information to process your application to attend the event, take payment, if any, and send you updates or information regarding the event. Our legal basis for doing so is to fulfill the agreement with you for your attendance. The information collected may include your name, email address, company affiliation, address, and payment information.
We use Eventbrite as the registration system for many of our events and their servers are based in the United States (U.S.) and may store and process your information outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Eventbrite complies with the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework. If you wish to know more please see https://www.eventbrite.com/support/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/eventbrite-privacy-policy?lg=en_US
If you buy a ticket for an event we will use third-party payment processing organisations to take your payment. These organisations will be the data controller of your information for the purpose of processing the transaction, and may involve your information being processed outside of the EEA. Please read their terms and conditions before completing your payment.
We do not share any of this personal data with third parties, with two exceptions:
- companies that host our networking events often require a list of attendees for security and to enable you to gain entry into their buildings;
- we provide paper copies of the list of attendees to everyone who comes along to our events. We find it helps to support networking.
In both cases, the attendee lists provided show first name, last name, and company affiliation, if any, only.
If you plan to attend an event but would prefer that your name not be included on the attendee list, we will remove it at your request. You are now given this option when you register for events.
If you agree to give us feedback or complete a survey, we will use the information to improve our events and activities. We usually use Survey Monkey to process surveys, and they only process your information on our instructions. Survey Monkey operates in the U.S. and complies with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework. For more information see https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/legal/privacy-policy/?ut_source=footer
We generally do not require any personal information when we ask you to complete a survey but if you do provide your name, company name and email address we commit to only using those for the purpose you request.
Social media interaction
We use a third-party social media providers to communicate with the WiTT community. Currently these include LinkedIn and Twitter. In the case of LinkedIn, if you join the WiTT community there we will see your public LinkedIn profile and email address. In the case of Twitter, if you follow us we will see your Twitter handle. We do not currently process this information in any way.
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
As noted above, we use third parties to support our ability to provide services to you. These include LinkedIn, Twitter, Mailchimp and Eventbrite. We share attendee lists for our events with the event hosts and with attendees at the events. Other than this, or if we move to other third parties to support our activities, we do not and will not sell or share your personal information with any other parties.
We do not allow our third party service providers to use your personal information for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal information for specified purposes in accordance with our instructions.
RETAINING YOUR INFORMATION
We will only retain your personal information for as long as is necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting obligations.
Unless you inform us otherwise, we will retain WiTT members’ personal data for as long as you continue to be a member. If we receive a bounce-back from your email address and we are not able to contact you to confirm that you still wish to be a part of our network, we will try to contact you, but if we are unsuccessful we will remove you from our database.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use such information without further notice to you.
TRANSFERRING YOUR INFORMATION OVERSEAS
As noted above, some of our third-party providers are based in the U.S., so we may transfer your personal information outside the European Economic Area (EEA). We aim to use providers that deal with your data in a manner consistent with EU and UK laws on data protection.
UPDATING AND ACCESSING YOUR INFORMATION
You have the right under data protection laws to access information held about you, subject to certain conditions, and to request its rectification or deletion.
If you would like to access, update or amend the information which we hold about you or would like us to stop using your personal information please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
By law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it. We will need to prove your identity before we release any personal information to you.
- Request correction or erasure of your personal information (unless we have the legal right to retain it). You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
- Change your data processing preferences at any time. If you have changed your mind you can contact us by emailing email@example.com, or in respect of marketing messages you can unsubscribe by using the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of our mailings.
- You should be aware that if you ask us to stop processing your personal information in a certain way or erase your personal information, and this type of processing or data is needed to facilitate your use of our services, you may not be able to use those services.
- You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of your other rights in relation to your data). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Right to withdraw consent
In the limited circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collection, processing and transfer of your personal information for a specific purpose, you have the right to withdraw your consent for that specific processing at any time. To withdraw your consent, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your information for the purpose or purposes you originally agreed to, unless we have another legitimate basis for doing so in law.
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and up to date. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us and periodically review your profile settings on our website.